Followers

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Baby's Got Setback

I haven't posted on this blog since The Year of the Crutch (2013).  Why?  Because it has been hard to even think about this project.

At the onset, the plan was to have gone out on my experiment by now - to go out hitchhiking for one month without purse or scrip, to preach the gospel to those who would listen, just like the missionaries of old did in the Mormon Church.

The moment I resolved to do this, I have been beset my health issues that, by all appearances, have killed my project.

I could very easily turn this into a blog about medical issues in 2014, but I will give you a quick run down.

2014 was a year of travel.  I went to British Columbia, Idaho, Wisconsin, and to Missouri twice.  All of these were missionary trips.  My wife and I were planning a trip to Europe (also a missionary trip), and to New York.  Those trips didn't happen, because of health issues.

In March, I went to Mesa, Arizona with some of my kids.  I took them sight-seeing and went to a ghost town.  We walked around for the afternoon.  I was wearing new shoes that were a bit tight.  When we stopped for the night, I discovered that my big toe was kinked inside of my toe.  There was a huge water blister that encircled my entire toe.  The problem was - I couldn't feel it due to the neuropathy.

Within two weeks, the whole toe went infected, and I had to have surgery to have most of my toe removed.  It took several weeks to get over it.  On my trip to Wisconsin, I had recently lost my toe.  For the long ride there, there was a mattress placed in the back of a pickup with a shell, and that's how I rode there, to prevent injury to my foot.

No sooner was I over it that I developed back pain.  It started in my shoulder, and gradually worked down to my hips and my legs.  The X-Rays say that I have degenerative disc disease.  They really don't know what is causing it.

Over the last couple of months, I have lost strength in my legs, and the muscles in my legs have atrophied.  It has become increasingly difficult to even walk.  I have lost my appetite and barely eat anymore.  Since September, I have dropped 40 pounds.  I'm not sure why.  The doctors don't know why, because the insurance keeps denying any MRI, any test that could give us answers.  Certainly, it all stems from diabetes.  I have suspected MS.  In the meantime, I have tried to eat healthier and control my diet.

Right now, I can't even walk across Wal-Mart without losing energy.  How am I going to hitchhike across the United States?  I don't know.  I'm trying to stay positive about this, but I have faced some moments of depression, come moments where I wonder how many years I have left on this earth, how many months.

And yet.  I cannot scrap this project.  I believe that God will heal me.  I remember that blessing I had at age 24.  I would go on a mission to all of the world.  My health would be poor, and God would heal me, would raise me off the proverbial bed of my affliction so that I could fulfill my mission.  I'm still waiting for that to happen.

When it does, I will be out that door in a heartbeat, pounding the pavement, Book of Mormon in one hand, and thumb extended on my other one.


5 comments:

  1. It is an orchestrated attack my friend. The enemy is clever, bet we will prevail. God still heals. My prayers are with you. Keep fighting, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have watched that documentary I linked you on. It very well may save your life. We need you around, Moroni, a LOT longer than a just months, or a year or two. We have much to do, with many to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I should have mentioned, Moroni, that this is Chris with yet another pseudonym. About time to shuffle the deck again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one strong man, Moroni! That's a lot you've been going through. You're being prepared for a top position! I loved the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete