Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Getting Started

Everyone has seen Mormon missionaries - you know, the young guys on bikes, white shirts, ties, and name tags.  They are virtually cultural icons, even referenced in movies.

It wasn't always that way, though.  When the Mormon Church called men on missions, they got the call, and that was it.  They went out into the world "without purse or scrip" as mentioned in Luke 22: 35.  That is to say, they had to wing it.  They had no money, only the clothes on their backs, and survived on the charity of others.  Those who showed a kind heart were usually those who the missionaries would teach.

This was the Mormon-style of missionary work until about the 1940's, and then the Church developed a fund to help out missionaries get by while out in the "field".

But I am not going to get into that right now!

This is mainly to introduce myself!

Hi, my name is Moroni Lopez Jessop!  (=> see profile =>)  I was raised in the LDS Church, but never got to serve a mission for them, because I got excommunicated for believing in the modern practice of polygamy.  I live in rural Arizona with my two wives and kids, and I am writing a book.

I am writing a book on the history of the custom of preaching without purse or scrip in the Mormon religion.  I will discuss much of that history here.

This will culminate in me actually doing an experiment of going out in a similar fashion and teaching people without purse or scrip, just like the old Mormons did!  It is kind of scary and exciting!  I will blog about my preparations, and when I leave (probably next year) I will blog about my experiences while I am on the road, all Jack Keruoac-style, and shiz!

When I get back, I will write a book about my experiences.

It is something that I have wanted to do all of my life.  I hope that you will read about my travels.  I look forward to comments and advice, and I hope that all of you will follow on my journey.  (Well, not literally.  I'm not Forest Gump, or anything.)

Peace!


6 comments:

  1. I am your first commenter and your biggest fan. I want to read your book, and hear you preach, too. This is a fantastic project and I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moroni my "Mod" friend lol. I think it is awesome that you are following your dreams and living your life the way you want it. We do not have to share the same religion but I totally stand behind you in staying true to what is important to you. I do not judge anyone, we were all created equal, and I pray for your journey to be a success. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro we can't wait to read it HP supports you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you have a companion the whole time or part of the time? If you are ever passing through Oklahoma we would love to open our doors to you. We are new to fundamentalism and would be very interesting in what you have to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your offer! I may take you up on that. Ideally, I would like a companion. But the commitment that it would take to undergo such a journey is one that I am hesitant to ask of anyone else. I am disabled with no job. I am on Social Security. I can afford to undertake a trip like this, because I have no job to put on hold.

    ReplyDelete